PSA: Your healing Himalayan Salt Lamp is a major pet hazard

The famous Himalayan salt lamp is a classic cult favorite. Not only is it aesthetically pleasing and perfect for your home interior goals, but it also has a great number of healing benefits that sweeps it off the shelves FAST.

Mined from the edge of the Himalayan Mountains, these lamps are made of mined pink crystals and range in color: from light pink to pink with an orange hue, depending on the mineral concentration. These authentic Himalayan crystals (that cannot be found anywhere else) are mined, then hollowed to make room for a bulb that provides both light and heat.

This lamp is basically the genie of health benefits. And we’re talking about more than just three perks.

According to Mindbodygreen, the lamp is to act as an air ionizer spreading negative ions that can help counteract and neutralize this radiation. The salt is hygroscopic—meaning it attracts water molecules, dust, pollen, mold, and other allergens that are toxic to our bodies.

Which is why it helps in the increase of blood flow, improves mood, sleeping, and breathing, boosts serotonin levels, reduces stress and asthma levels, increases energy levels, and many more.

But it seems like these lamps—despite its abundant advantages—are alarmingly hazardous to our oblivious furry pets!

Rose Avenue Vet Hospital reported an incident on a poor feline beauty named Ruby. Her owners woke up one day to find her walking strangely with her head in a very odd position as she trotted around the house. They initially blamed the cold for such behaviour, but Ruby deteriorated dramatically later in the day, causing a rush to the doctors.


The vets soon observed that she was definitely suffering from various neurological problems: she found walking extremely difficult, her sight and hearing were lapsing, and poor baby Ruby wouldn’t even eat or drink properly—her tongue also showing signs of impairment. Her basic senses and abilities were gone in just a span of 12 hours.

After a couple of tests, it was found that Ruby’s blood contained severely high levels of sodium—the salt poisoning caused her brain to swell, and brought about neurological malfunctions.

Owner Maddie Smith said “The salt poisoning was caused by just your normal salt lamp that we had in our lounge, Ruby has ingested the salt by simply licking the lamp (we didn’t realise obviously).”

Salt poisoning caused by the salt lamps are actually common to dogs, but this was the first time it was seen with a cat.

Maddie added that “Salt poisoning is EXTREMELY deadly to animals and she [Ruby] is basically a miracle to still be here now. These salt lamps are addictive to animals, and if they get a taste it becomes just like potato chips are to us! So please please keep these out of reach from your fur babies.”

So if you ever wonder what your little pupper or your adorable kitten does when not under your supervision, look by the Himalayan Salt Lamp in your living room or bedside table.

If found lapping all over the salty lamp, KEEP AWAY and rush straight to your nearest vet!

And you probably need to find a new place to set up that lamp.


Art by Tricia Guevara

For the latest in culture, fashion, beauty, and celebrities, subscribe to our weekly newsletter here  

Follow Preen on FacebookInstagramTwitterYouTube, and Viber

Related stories:

It’s time to decorate your throne room AKA your bathroom
Buying plants online might be my new hobby
Live in Living Coral home decor
Make your home smell like your favorite autumn latte
The resolutions you should make for your home