With it starting to rain almost every day now, I’m looking for more and more ways to stay warm. Aside from layering clothes, why not try to keep warm from the inside. How exactly? By sipping on some hot drinks. Depending on how gloomy the weather is, you can prepare different ones. From light drizzles to full on thunderstorms, we’ve found the perfect recipes. These range from spiced ones to classics that have a splash of alcohol. If you need one for tonight, here’s what you can make.
Rained in at home
Whip up: Spiked hot chocolate
Lately, we’ve all been waking up to clouded skies without the motivation to get out of bed. The weather, coupled with comfy sheets, calls for a warm drink. If you’re just planning on chilling in bed all day, make it even better with this drink. It’s like your favorite hot chocolate all grown up.
3 cups whole milk
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1/ tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup bourbon
1. In a medium saucepan heat milk over medium heat.
2. Once the milk is steaming, add in the chopped chocolate.
3. Once the chocolate is melted, whisk in the vanilla extract and bourbon.
4. Pour the mixture into mugs and top with whipped cream and caramel sauce.
Gloomy weekend afternoon
Whip up: Chai tea latte
It’s the weekend and the rain has ruined your plans. Don’t be defeated, you can still whip something up in the kitchen. This recipe takes a while to make and has numerous steps so this is a great weekend afternoon activity. Get your family to join you.
2 cups water
2 black tea bags
2 whole cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 ground cardamom
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 ground allspice
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 cup chai tea recipe
3/4 cup whole milk
1 tbsp maple syrup
1. Start by making the chai tea and boil water and spices in a saucepan.
2. Once the water starts boiling, lower the heat and let the spices steep for five minutes.
3. Turn heat back on and add tea bags and maple syrup.
4. Allow ingredients to steep for another five minutes.
5. Remove the tea bags and strain the mixture.
6. Get started on the latte by boiling milk, maple syrup, and a pinch of cinnamon.
7. Pour 1/2 cup of the chai tea in a mug and top it with the latte mixture.
Light drizzle on the way to work
Whip up: Hot spiced apple cider
You’re getting ready for work and you realize it’s starting to drizzle outside. Get in the kitchen and prepare this quick drink. All you have to do it combine everything in a pot and let it simmer. You can leave and let it do it’s thing while you’re getting dressed.
4 cups apple cider
1 apple, sliced
1 orange, sliced
3 cinnamon sticks
2 slices fresh ginger
1 tsp whole allspice
1. Add all the ingredients in a large pot.
2. Let it simmer and cover the pot.
3. Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
Thunderstorm but you still have tasks to do
Whip up: Coffee with a splash of rum
If there’s a thunderstorm brewing but you don’t have the luxury of just lazing around, make this drink. Make your regular cup of coffee even better with some spiced butter and just a splash of rum. This will keep you awake and warm.
8 tbsp salted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
4 oz dark rum
4 cups brewed coffee
1. Beat butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
2. Once the mixture is smooth, let it chill for 20 to 30 minutes
3. Add one teaspoon of the spiced butter into a mug.
4. Pour one ounce of rum in the mug and top it with coffee.
5. Stir to combine.
Art by Marian Hukom