Just like the rest of your body, your lips can get dry too. Let me be the first to admit that one of my bad habits is peeling and biting my lips when they’re dry. I know, it’s bad. So, to combat this, I’ve started using lip scrubs. And they come in so many different forms like a stick or in a pot. They also have different flavors like bubblegum and vanilla. As good as these products are, lip scrubs are so easy to make at home. A lot of them have the same base that not only gets rid of dry patches but moisturizes too. You can add other ingredients to this base that will add scent and flavor to them. This makes licking off the mixture even more fun. If you have some time to spare and your lips need some extra care, try out these easy recipes.
Quick and natural
If you’re in a hurry but need to give your lips some TLC before heading out the door, whip up this easy recipe made with natural ingredients.
1 tsp raw honey
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp olive oil or coconut oil
1. Combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix until it turns into a paste
2. Gently rub on your lips for one minute
3. Rinse with water and moisturize your lips
Just like sugar cookies
Lip scrubs don’t have to be boring. If you want something sweet while you’re taking care of your lips, this recipe tastes just like sugar cookies.
1 tbsp organic sugar cane
1/2 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp raw honey
1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until it has a creamy consistency
2. Store in a glass jar until you need to use it
Perfect for summer, this lip scrub combines flavors from kiwi and watermelon. Bring this with you to the beach so you can remove any dead skin before sipping on a cold fruit shake.
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp kiwi juice with seeds
3 drops watermelon flavoring
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well
2. If you want to add color to your lip scrub, put a few drops of beet juice
3. Add in the kiwi seeds to make the mixture look like a watermelon
4. Store in small pots or a glass jar
Kick of caffeine
Coffee lovers can get a little kick of caffeine from this lip scrub recipe. The base is simple to make and all you have to do is add some instant coffee.
1 tsp refined sugar
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 packet instant coffee
1. Mix sugar and coconut oil until the consistency is creamy
2. Add the instant coffee and stir till combined
3. After scrubbing your lips for 15 seconds, remove the mixture with a wet cloth or lick it off
Good old peppermint
Nothing beats the fresh feeling of peppermint so this classic recipe is still a good choice. It makes enough mixture to fill four containers so stock up or share with your friends and family.
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp honey
1 1/2 tsp sugar
3 drops peppermint essential oil
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl
2. Store in lip balm containers
Photo courtesy of Unsplash