For all the dessert-lovers out there, you have probably heard of freakshakes popularized by Black Tap in New York City. Their outrageous milkshakes aren’t just topped with the traditional whipped cream, they throw everything on there. Picture this: A chocolate milkshake garnished with ice cream sandwiches and brownies or a vanilla milkshake with M&Ms, chocolate syrup, and wafer sticks. Some even have a whole slice of cake balancing on the rim of the glass.
I know what you’re thinking, “That is way too much!” and it probably is. According to Spoon University each shake can has an estimate of 1,600 calories packed in it. Yes, that’s a lot. That amounts to around eight slices of pizza. Weight-watchers are probably squirming in their seats right now reading this but what the heck, it’s a Friday and we all deserve a little (or large) treat for making it through the week. If you feel like indulging, we’ve listed some recipes for you to try out along with its estimated calorie equivalent (in case you were curious). Make a glass for yourself or one to share. Happy weekend!
Sweet and salty
Vanilla ice cream
1. Add milk, ice cream, and a generous spoonful of Nutella into a blender.
2. While that’s mixing, line the rim of a glass with Nutella and pretzels.
3. Pour the mixture into the glass and top with whipped cream.
4. Garnish the whipped cream with even more pretzels, Nutella, and crushed pretzel dust.
Calorie equivalent: 35 Oreo cookies
Rainbow sour tape
Strawberry ice cream
1. Mix together the ice cream, strawberries, and milk into a blender.
2. Spread vanilla frosting on the rim of a glass and cover it in rainbow sprinkles.
3. Pour the milkshake into the glass and top with whipped cream.
4. Finish off the freakshake with garnishes of lollipops and strawberry syrup.
Calorie equivalent: 18 peanut butter cups
Chocolate and strawberries
Strawberry ice cream
Pink sparkling sugar
Mini chocolate doughnuts
1. Melt dark chocolate and coat the rim of a glass. Don’t be afraid to let it drip down the side.
2. Sprinkle pink sparkling sugar over the dark chocolate.
3. Combine ice cream and milk in a blender and mix till smooth.
4. Fold in chopped chocolate into the shake and pour in a glass.
5. Top with whipped cream, chocolate covered strawberries, and mini doughnuts.
Calorie equivalent: 16 shots of vodka
Art by Yayie Motos