The weekend is always a good time to experiment in the kitchen. For tonight, we suggest for you ace a rice dish by preparing some risotto. This Italian dish will make you think twice of our local staple and may just help you whip up a dish when your friends decide to come over.
Red Beet Risotto with Flank Steak
1 tbsp onion, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup meat stock
1/4 cup arborio rice
3 tbsp beetroot juice
2 beetroot bulbs
1/4 cup broccoli
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp all-purpose cream
300 grams flank steak
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel the beetroot and cut them into small cubes (around 1 cm). Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil, and sauté onion and garlic.
3. Add the beetroot, broccoli, and uncooked rice. Mix continuously.
4. Pour the beetroot juice, cream, and meat stock and stir until mixed well. When the mixture is almost dry, add more stock and let it simmer for around 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked.
5. While waiting, season the steak and start heating the searing pan. Add olive oil and sear the steak for around two minutes each side. Once cool, slice into bite-sized pieces.
6. When the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and add parmesan cheese into the saucepan for a creamier texture.
7. Place the risotto on a plate, add the steak on top, then serve.
Source: Charlie Carbungco for Northern Living, “Paint It Red,” February, 2015.
Photo by Patrick Segovia